For stains that have become set-in, here are some steps to try for removal:
1. Vaccum the fabric to remove any dust or loose particles.
2. Check your furniture for cleaning codes. If there are no cleaning codes to be found, you can test the water, vodka, and vinegar on a hidden piece of upholstery.
3. Begin the cleaning with a bit of steam to help loosen the stain. Mix dish soap with a bit of cool water and then, with a wrung-out sponge, blot the stain with the soapy mixture. Do not rub as it isn’t good for the fabric. If using vinegar or vodka, put on a cloth and blot the stains.
5. Next (when using water), rinse the sponge and use only water to blot out the soap.
6. Dry with a cloth or paper towels.
7. If the gentle clean did not work, it is time to break out a more heavy-duty cleaner meant for upholstery. Always spot test these in a hidden area.
8.Sometimes, more stubborn stains may require a couple of passes.